Grand Canyon University’s College of Science, Engineering and Technology is seeking a Shop Technician. This position is responsible for the set up and daily maintenance of science labs. The set up requires all equipment to be available for daily classroom usage by faculty and students. Maintenance activities include stocking and inventorying of required supplies, checking all equipment to ensure operational, troubleshooting equipment if operation problem and alerting management and/or vendor for necessary repair.
- Conducts the day to day operational set up of the lab for use by all students and faculty.
- Responsible for following administrative processes of ordering and ensuring that lab supplies are at the required levels so as to not diminish level of learning required for the students.
- Responsible for ensuring that all supplies, equipment, media, computers and materials needed are available and all equipment is at optimum operating levels.
- Ensure preparation of lab supplies and equipment is based on faculty/course requirements
- Serves as the resource person for faculty and students in any matters relating to the operational aspects of the lab.
- Mixes and applies cleaning chemical applications as required.
- Adjusts, maintains, calibrates and performs minor repair to equipment; report major repair needs or arrange for repairs according to established procedures.
- Follows upon on waivers
- Conducts general daily cleaning in the lab and collects and disposes of waste materials according to regulations per lab shift.
- Performs specialized and technical duties to assure efficient lab operations
- Documents safety, accident and other incidents according to established reporting protocols.
- Prepares feedback related to laboratory operations and activities to supervisor as required
- Supervise student workers.
- Working a flexible schedule that may include nights and weekend. Performs related duties as assigned and needed.
- Associate’s Degree in any of the physical sciences or engineering.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in machine shop.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and equipment of assigned physical sciences lab.
- Knowledge of safety regulations involving area of specialty.
- Ability to perform specialized and technical duties to assure efficient physical sciences lab operation.
- Knowledge of proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Knowledge of advanced mathematics.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.