Lead Janitor/Porter (6:00 pm - 2:00 am shift)
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking a Lead Porter/Janitor. Under general supervision, you will clean designated areas and maintain a sanitary and safe environment, assign work and provide on-the-job instructions to a team of Porters and ensure the work performed is completed in a timely manner.
Note: This position scheduled shift is for 6:00 pm - 2:00 am, Monday - Friday.
- Ensures cleaning supplies and equipment needed for daily shift are available and accessible.
- Assigns and coordinates the work of the team.
- Observes team during the performance of duties, provides guidance, and checks quality of work performed and ensures work is completed on time.
- Observes safety and security procedures at all times, ensures team is complying with safety and security requirements, reports potentially unsafe conditions or situations and ensures equipment and materials are used properly.
- On night shift, responsible for unlocking/locking buildings and offices and collaborating with public safety and following proper security procedures.
- Performs light repairs and maintenance such as patching walls, paint touch up, adjusting hinges, adjusting cabinet doors, tightening bolts and screws and uses hand or small power tools to install paper-towel and soap dispensers and toilet paper holders.
- Performs general cleaning and maintenance duties that may include sweeping, mopping, stripping, waxing, polishing and buffing floors, vacuuming, dusting and trash removal.
- Ensures proper disinfecting and sanitizing of rooms, laboratories, lavatories and other areas.
- Dusts furniture, file cabinets, paneling, window sills, other equipment, printers, faxes, telephones, picture frames/wall hangings including magazine racks, air conditioning registers, wall grills or other ventilating louvers such ceiling air conditioning diffusers, and other exterior surfaces such as light fixtures.
- Damp wipes exercise equipment.
- Ensures whiteboards in classrooms are cleaned.
- Keeps exterior buildings clean: dusting exterior lights, cleaning glass doors, etc. and may occasionally power wash building wall exteriors.
- Ensures stairways are kept free from dust, debris and trash.
- Empties wastebaskets, and empties and cleans exterior ashtrays; empties recycling materials and transports collected trash and waste to the appropriate disposal areas/dumpsters; ensures trash cans used to collect and transport trash and recyclables are kept clean.
- Provides support, instruction and work assignments to the team.
- High school diploma, or equivalent, is required.
- A minimum of 2 years’ work experience in commercial cleaning capacity or related work experience.
- A combination of relevant work experience, education and training may be substituted upon approval of the hiring manager.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with a good command of the English language and ability to maintain positive relationships with team members.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is helpful but not required.
- Knowledgeable of janitorial products, green cleaning products and cleaning agents and the best uses for such with regard to commercial cleaning as well as the proper disposal of chemicals.
- Knowledgeable of and proficient in the operation of floor cleaning machinery and power washers.
- Ability to use and knowledgeable of small power tools.
- Familiarity with OSHA and MSDS requirements and compliance as well as ADOSH requirements.
- Attention to detail.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Flexible, dependable and reliable.
- Ability to prioritize, cope with changing deadlines and manage multiple activities in a professional manner.
- Must have be able to physically perform Porter job duties.
- Ability to work with harsh chemicals.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.