Graduate Assistant - Outdoor Recreation
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking a Graduate Assistant for the Outdoor Recreation Program. Under the supervision of the Outdoor Recreation Manager the Graduate Assistant of Outdoor Recreation will help lead a team of student leaders and assist in the programming of all Outdoor Recreation trips. This position will act as supervisor to the undergraduate student leaders that help guide (planning and leading) different trips. This position will oversee development of all trips as well as risk management and preparation for each destination. Please note, this position will have to work possible nights and weekends up to 20 hours per week.
- Assist with hiring, training and supervision of all outdoor recreation student staff. This includes development of different training pieces and oversight of meetings. Discipline and counsel as needed.
- Assist with planning, promoting, and conducting outdoor recreation trips. Maintain participant registration and trip records.
- Assist student staff in planning, and execution of programming while directly overseeing field work.
- Assist with the management of the Outdoor Recreation program. Maintain records and reports of the day-to-day operations to include incident reports and rental information.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures for a rental center operation including day to day operations and repairs as needed.
- Assist with development and implementation of a marketing plan for the program.
- Be on-site as assigned during evenings and weekends.
- Report all injuries; notify emergency services when necessary. Submit appropriate injury report forms.
- Report disturbances and other incidents to the professional staff. Have appropriate personnel complete report form.
- Assist with Student Affairs special events as assigned.
- Make suggestions regarding improvements for the program.
- Attend all departmental and divisional meetings.
- Attend conferences, seminars, and meetings as permitted for professional development.
- Perform other duties as requested by professional staff.
- Undergraduate Degree in, Sports Marketing, Sports Management, Business Management or related field.
- Acceptance as a graduate student for an approved Grand Canyon University graduate study program. MBA, MED, MS (Leadership), MS (Organizational Leadership and Entrepreneurship)
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Must be able to lawfully accept employment in the U.S
- Wilderness First Responder Certified
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Proficiency in written and oral communication skills and utilization of computers
- At least 3 years of Outdoor Recreation or equivalent experience
- Ability to supervise and train student leaders and student workers, to include organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Ability to foster a positive, cooperative work environment.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement promotional programs and events.
- Ability to comply with all policies and regulations of Grand Canyon University and enforce policies that apply to the Campus Recreation department.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.