Grand Canyon University promotes lifelong learning and supports this by providing a Tuition Benefit Program that offers employees the opportunity to complete both an undergraduate and a graduate degree tuition free! Grand Canyon University offers a similar plan to qualifying dependents.
In addition, Grand Canyon University offers an exceptional service-based paid time off (PTO) program starting at 20 days per year. In addition, we also observe 11½ paid holidays throughout the calendar year.
Grand Canyon University is seeking a full time Dispatcher for our Public Safety Department. The Dispatcher works to support the university community by providing various services and programs that contribute to maintaining campus safety and security. This individual operates the communications center receiving emergency and non-emergency calls, after-hours requests, monitoring computerized alarm and access control systems, providing police and EMS dispatch and radio communication management.
This position must be able to work various shifts including; daytime, evening, night shifts and holidays.
Compensation - $15 per hour
- Receives and relays information for service by telephone and two-way radio. Records all information in the Daily Activity Report Log.
- Handles the daily accounting of all officers’ equipment, such as radios, keys, etc. which are checked in/out for shifts. Records detailed information in logs as required. Maintains Officer zone assignments and dispatches officers based on location in a timely manner to assist in deterring potential criminal activity and for emergency situations requiring Officer response.
- Operates security command center; to include, monitoring CCTV systems, access control systems, digital alarm receivers, and fire and burglar systems.
- Individually responsible for dispatching requested calls for service during the tour of duty which includes the following:
- Prevention and suppression of crime.
- Protection of life and property.
- Apprehension and protection of offenders.
- Preservation of the peace and maintenance of order.
- Enforcement of all state statues and University and housing regulations.
- Participates and assists in disaster planning and drills.
- Renders aid when necessary including first aid, CPR, defibrillation, etc.
- Checks to ensure that information for field officers are available so only authorized persons are admitted to buildings and monitors controlled access areas.
- Documents disturbances and incidents and communicates with local law-enforcements during emergency situations.
- Cooperates with campus staff and external law enforcement agencies conducting investigations.
- Testifies in court as needed.
- High school diploma, or equivalent required; an Associate’s degree from an accredited college/university in criminal justice, police science, public administration, political science or similar discipline is preferred.
- Experience in 911 / Dispatch Center preferred.
- Experienced with Computer Aided Dispatch, Records Management System, Criminal Justice
- Demonstrates a high degree of ethical behavior and adheres to the standards and regulations of the University and legal environment.
- Good communications and interpersonal skills; ability to speak Spanish or other non-English language including American Sign Language is helpful.
- Information Systems terminals, computerized alarm monitoring systems, computerized access control systems or other computer or technical systems.
- Knowledgeable of and ability to accurately interpret applicable federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position and daily responsibilities.
- Demonstrates good judgment and excellent conflict resolution/mediation skills.
- Certifications in CPR, First Aid and First Responder are preferred.
- Valid Arizona Driver's license in good standing; must be insurable.
- Must successfully pass a drug test.
- Must be flexible to work occasional evenings and weekends depending on scheduled events.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.
GCU's Christian worldview has shaped the university's mission and growth for more than 65 years. As a Christ-centered higher education institution, GCU integrates faith, learning and work to connect the GCU community with distinct Christian principles and strong central values. The University values diversity among its students, faculty and staff, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans. At GCU, working professionals may find their purpose in ways marked by compassion, service, integrity and concern for the common good.
Employment is contingent upon the satisfactory outcome (as determined by the university) of pre-employment screening activities, including a background check.
Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job application please use our External Candidate Job Application Guide.
For more information on Grand Canyon University, visit us gcu.edu
If you’re looking for jobs in admissions/enrollment, accounting, curriculum development, financial aid, human resources, information technology, marketing or other student service-related jobs at Grand Canyon Education, Inc. Visit our partner’s site at jobs.gce.com for more information.